Friday, February 17, 2012



This is how I felt at my first NAME Convention.

I almost did not go because I did not have anyone to go along.  It was in  Indiana, about 6 hours from where I live.  OK I decided to step outside my comfort zone, and go there myself.    No one told me 3:00 was the check in at the Hotel when I registered 6 months in advance.  I got up at 4AM and off I went.  The  adrenaline was souring me onto Indiana.  Arrived about 11:00.    No room ready until 3:00  My car somehow found the greatest shopping strips area in the world.  Michael's, Hobby Lobby, party stores and Joanne Fabrics.When I went back to the hotel the rooms still not ready. BUTT! a very understanding young man at the counter said He would make me an offer I couldn't refuse.  He would upgrade my room to a suite since I was staying all week at no extra cost!

The room had 2 king size beds, in a separate little room.  I had a dining room, sitting room, microwave, sink, refrigerator and 3 TVs, one is the bath, bedroom and sitting room.  I had a desk, computer table and office space, a couch, lounge chair and coffee table. The bath had not only a marble shower, but a Jacuzzi. I could have lived in this room forever.  I went to the store to stock my refrigerator with breakfast and  lunch things so I could save money for other items, like miniatures at the show.

It seems rather odd now, but every class I wanted to take I got,  Pretty  great stuff when you consider over 500 people signed up to come to the Convention.  I met people from all over the world, and enjoyed talking and sharing with them ideas  and learning about their clubs activities .

I made a set of 3 Stooges Dolls to donate for the raffle to help with Name  expenses.   The person who won them was so elated. A couple of months later I found out why.  I received an E mail from
Moe Howard's daughter Thanking me for the dolls.  She has a small museum in her home and was giving them a place of honor there.  The person who won them was friends with Moe's daughter.!  It is a small world isn't it!

I also won a couple prizes, the food was great, and met some wonderful people. I was never alone unless I wanted to be. I went with a carful, but came home with a packed car.  It was a great vacation!



No comments:

Post a Comment