Friday, June 22, 2012

Tic Tac Fish Aquarium

Background from internet and Tic Tac box
Finished Fish Aquarium from Tic Tack Box


Today I made a fish Aquarium from a Tic Tack box.  If you don't know what that is, go to the gum and candy lane at the check out and they are small  breath mints.  The size I got was called the big pack.  I wanted a little larger fish tank. It is 2 3/4 x 1/3/4 in size.  I went  onto the Internet--google-images--fish aquariums and selected a background with lots of color.  I  right clicked and saved to my picture file.  Then I opened from the picture file and selected print.  It takes you to the windows pictures and I selected the smallest size.   I cut a little off the top and sides to fit the tic tack box. 

Remove the white flip lid and cut and fit your picture to the box.  Glue into the box.  Next I cut a piece of cardboard to fit the bottom and covered it with sand.  After dry- slide in to the bottom of the box adhering with glue.  The rest is shells, rocks and moss and ferns I had left over from a garden project applying with glue and using tweezers to put into the fish tank..  The fish are stickers  I glued just in the middle leaving the fins and head to curl and stick out a bit.  This gives a 3 D effect.  To cover the end off I used clear plastic that  covers the items in a box that you purchase and have to use a knife to get the items out.  Theft protection?.  Lightly glue and allow to dry.  I used the same mural on the back in case it would show.

Since this is for my Grandson I did not use resin.  The box is not real clear plastic and so it has  the illusion of water inside.  This will be another addition to his shell collection room box.

At a recent show I purchased a fish tank that had tiny colored rocks and fish.  It was very nicely made and looked to be in a tooth brush container that had been cut down. Resin had been used and looked like real water.  Now I don't know how long she had saved these but I looked all over and they just don't put tooth brushes in the square containers anymore.  How unfortunate!  I looked for anything in a square plastic container and could not find anything, except the Tic Tack containers

The hardest thing about this was choosing the background picture.


4 comments:

  1. I love the ideas...like only gluing the fish in the middle and other things. I have a container I am going to use for an aquarium now I have more ideas to use. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is this?!!! What a great little idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,

    I have made fish tanks using the plastic that hold erasers, candy and toys. You can also make a fish tank using gum machine bubbles as well as a terrarium.

    I hope this helps!

    Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, you inspired me to make my own version!

    ReplyDelete