Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Trash can from Glucose test strip container


Glucose test strip container is 2 inches high and 1 inch around.  The lid is on hinge.  Using the tin I showed you how to make on the last blog, apply glue around the container under the lip that the lid sits on.  Apply the cardboard tin butted up to the flange on top for the lid to sit on.  Hold to dry.  When dry trim off excess on the bottom.    I antiqued the lid with the same colors of paint as the tin, including the lip and flange..  When dry put paper towel on the bottom of the container inside, find some garbage and arrange to over fill the garbage can.  I choose to make this a 50's can so we did not have plastic garbage bags.  The cans did look like this with the ridges, were very heavy, and usually very beat up.  A small piece of black garbage bag could be inserted inside and folded out to look more modern. 

Test strip container next to the finished garbage can

Click on picture for details of can.  I have a mouse, spider, rose, paint roller, chicken, milk bottle, wire clothes hanger, bananas, assorted tin cans, berrys, and a cookie box


A note on trash.  When I was a child, we were very lucky to live out in the country and  there was a community dump up in the strip mines.  It was not against the law to dump in the wells that were left from stripping coal.  All the neighbors dumped there and all the neighbor hood kids had fun going thru the trash and dragging it home again for their tree huts and play houses.  I had a fascination with boxes and containers.  Need I say more.  My play house was a General Store, with real spices, and kitchen goods.  It had a potbelly stove that we were allowed to fire up, and cook our mud pancakes with spices and pancake flour added to it.  We would make cakes out of mud and add pine needles and clover to it.  After baked if we could not persuade  any of the neighbor hood kids to eat them we would leave them out for the fairy's to enjoy.

When I reflect now what people threw out then, I could have a very successful store on EBay.  Our abodes were the best decorated playhouses anywhere.  We had a small pedal fire engine
that was pretty rusted up but we still played with it.  It ended up in the dump, and pretty soon it came back, along with a couple of almost empty spray cans of paint.   It sure was a pretty site with all those colors on it. My parents were not amused.  The last time we saw it was on the back of  my Dad's truck going to work with him.  At work he had a backhoe to bury it!

My Mother was in charge of the rummage sales at our church, and collected the items all year long and stored them in the large attic of my Fathers garage.  We were allowed to play all year long with this stuff.  The clothes and jewelry and high heels, poodle skirts, and other 1940 and 1950 items would make a vintage clothes dealer's head spin.  I had such a great time as a child in my little red play house.  The sign outside said NO BOYZ!  On a regular basis we would take our wagons full of Mom's trash to the dump  and come home with someones elses.  We entertained ourselves with other peoples trash.  The recycle, reuse, restore slogan is not really new, or, maybe we were the first hoarders!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks funny. I still drag home other people's "garbage" when I see something usable in human or dolly size. LOL

    Now my adult children do it too.

    ReplyDelete