Sunday, September 9, 2012

Taking a Mini Vacation

I am taking a mini vacation, not because I want to, but because my body said I need to.  Usually every change of season I get a sinus issue, and for 2 weeks now I have not done much but work and sleep.  I am not a person to give into sickness, but sometimes it's the only way I can slow down and renew my batteries, so to speak.  I usually get caught up on reading all those articles and cleaning files out.  Often finding things to help in a creative mini project. 
 
 I have loved the magazine Country Living from the inception of its publication.  However I usually tore out the articles I liked and got rid of the rest.  Such is the case this week, I found some articles from Jo Northrup, Country Matters.  She wrote an article every month for Country Living, about the Pros of living in the Country.  I read she was legally blind, but her articles were written in such detail with such colorful content , you just wanted to be there.  She always came in from her outdoor adventure and enjoyed some special treat and shared a recipe.  I went online and discovered she had written  a book in the 1980's and I purchased it for 1.55 and 3.99 postage.  I look forward to adding  her wonderful writings about a quiet, peaceful country life to my library.  Her recipe book is out of print.
 
So in the fashion of Jo Northrup I am sharing a piece of my country and my favorite original recipe.
 
My girls above taking an afternoon walk around the park-Gertrude, Gertrude, Gertrude and Gertrude.
Its easier to remember what their names are.  Even though each has their own personality and mannerisms.
 
 
My girls keep me with enough eggs to have these addictive custard pies weekly.  The eggs are small but quite heavy.  The yolks are very yellow and the taste is like no other egg.  My neighbors throw the scraps from the garden and vegtable scraps from the table.  A lot of broccoli, the chickens love it.  I like to think they eat all the good stuff and put it in the eggs.
 
My Mother always made the best pies in the world.  But with restrictions with diets these days I think I have come up with a recipe that is not only good but better for you.  This pie is high in protein and I don't feel guilty if I want to eat it for breakfast.  Be prepared its not your usual custard pie.  Its better!!
 
The Custard:  Enough for 2 large deep dish pies
 
Preheat oven 400-Degrees
 
Mix all in the same large bowl:
 
12 small eggs- yolk and white
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Splenda baking blend
2 teaspoons Almond extract
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon Corn Starch
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and nutmeg
5 cups Silk Coconut milk or Silk Almond milk-both lactose and dairy free-in milk section
Using a hand mixer beat the ingredients for about 4 minutes until foamy. 
 
Pour into prepared baking dishes with pie dough mixture below or a prepared crust from the freezer.  Sprinkle additional nutmeg on top.
  Bake in a preheated oven 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  It  will be somewhat jiggly but not runny. 
 
The Pie Crust:
 
3 cups of flour, your choice for your diet needs.
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 cup of butter flavor Crisco
1/3 cup of cold VODKA-its unbelievable how flaky the crust will be, it bakes out right away.
1 egg mixed in with the vodka
 
Using a pastry blender or a fork blend the Criso and salt into small pieces in the flour
Add Cold Vodka and egg and blend until moist.
Pour out onto board and lightly knead with your hands.  Divide into 2 pieces and roll out on lightly floured board to the size of the pie pan.  Make a crust that is thick.  You will love this crust.!
 
Pie Crust for the less adventuresome:
 
3 cups flour of your choice
1 cup Butter flavored Crisco
1 tea sea salt
1/3 cup cold water that has 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar added to it.
1 small egg mixed into the water and Cider Vinegar mixture
 
Follow directions for the Above crust.  This is equally good and flaky.  Very tasty crust.  This is the German version of pie crust  The Vinegar taste does not come thru but makes it all flaky.
 
The Silk and Almond Milk are not only lactose and dairy free, but lower in calories than regular milk-only 80 calories.   It is higher in protein and lower in fat.  In this pie you can not tell the difference. 
 
I hope you enjoy making this pie.  The smell of it still waifs through the house from this morning.    It is best refrigerated after cooling down.  Cover with foil or saran wrap.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment