Saturday, May 24, 2014

MINI ALTOIDS TIN SLIPPER CHAIR 1/12" SCALE TUTORIAL


 
This is my inspiration piece from the web.  A chair made from a suitcase. Looks like an Altoid Mint Tin to me.   For this project you will need a mini Altoids case, material,  some type of decorative finials for the legs, I used white spray paint, but any color could be used, foamy sheets for the filling, glue and needle and thread, tiny beads for the tufting.  Material of your choice, something rather thin like cotton or satin.  You will need to sew into this and thicknesses of foam sheet.  Trim, lace or bunka to seal off the edges.

Here are the supplies you will need for this creation. I spray painted my Altoids tin white, cut any color will do.    Make a paper pattern of the tin and cut foamy sheets and fit inside.  This will be the stuffing.  Lay material down and sew into material and foamy sheets.  I used tiny purple beads to create the buttons in the tufts.  Turn the material under and glue on the backside that will be going into the tin.  When you are happy with the fit use a tooth pick and tuck in  the sides all around.  I made a tiny piece for the back side to cover up the Altoids emblem on the lid which  is now the back side.  Use trim and glue around the open area where the pillows meet the tin.  Glue the dowels onto the bottom of the tin for the legs.



I bought these drapery sample books for 50 cents at a resale shop.  It is like a satin material.  A lot of coordinated material in these books.    Each sample is just enough for a dress, chair, blanket or curtain.  Some of the books purchased look like braided rugs. 


Here is the finished slipper stool.  It is a low stool that the women could sit at and change their slippers in the big hoop skirts.  Behind the chair is another piece of material  that matches and it will make a perfect dress to match the chair.  I think this chair would be a great addition to any scene, use at the foot of a bed.  Jean material would be cute.  Handles like the  blue one pictured  above  made into a suit case would also be a great idea.  If you are new to my blog, go to the archives for the suitcase made from Altoids Tin.  Over 6,000 views on that one.


Meet my new floor sweeper.  Sicily helps with the scraps that fall on the floor. She is an English Bulldog and I find it hard to get any work done when she is here.  Who could not love that face!
 
Doing this project today I followed this web site and listened to 117 songs by Michael McDonald.   ( He Used to be with the Dooby Brothers) You do not have to sign in to my space or have an account.    Listen to your favorites or all of them.  Most of his albums from the beginning of his career are on this site.
He is one of my Favorites and his music is timeless, just in case you are to young to know of the Dooby Brothers.
 
https://myspace.com/michaelmcdonald/music/songs

Just click on this link and you are there!










 
 

6 comments:

  1. That chair is awesome! I have a lot of that fabric from the thrift stores around me. I am not too far from the mill it comes from. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. El sillón es precioso y muy original,muchas gracias por las explicaciones,me encanta!!!!
    Tu bulldog es guapísima!!!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful chair, Karen! I have also seen this chair on Pinterest. I have wanted to make this chair for a friend, so maybe I'll try to make it your way :D! Thank you for sharing.
    I wish you a nice Sunday! Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! That chair is so elegant and to think it started as an Altoids tin? Thanks for the link....it's nice to have music on when mini-ing. Sicily is adorable!
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chair is adorable. I like the inspiration
    . Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete