Tuesday, July 4, 2017

CUTTING A RUG





Hello all!

It has been a while since I have posted on my blog and for that an apology is in order.   Life gets busy sometimes and truly gets out of hand.  Retirement came around pretty quickly for me and now all the things  on my bucket list can get attention.  Where does the time go?  It has been a big adjustment for me, relaxation was never part of my agenda. What do I do now?  What do I want to be when I get old? Such a dilemma.  Truly every minute is being enjoyed.

The first 6 months have been spent reading, organizing, deep cleaning my house, researching miniature projects and taking classes of all kinds.  Stocked away for "When I retire" items have been found and were long gone from my memory.  It's been like Christmas!  There is more time for babysitting Grandchildren and fur babies and of course my passion  Miniatures.

A local quilt shop offered a class in crocheted rag rug making.  This is a good way to get rid of all the material stash being hoarded away for someday.  This totally thrilled me and it lasted for a couple of months.  Everyone got one.  As always the process had to be converted into miniature.  The above and following pictures are of what I came up with.  These small 1/12" scale rugs are crocheted.  A lot of threads and  yarns were experimented with  before coming up with what worked the best.
Premier yarns has a wool Free Sock yarn that is 93% variegated and acrylic.    Each rug you see has the color variations in one skein.  It was just luck how the colors came out to finish each ring around and blend into the next color.  This is easier than changing colors and no lumps. This yarn is very soft.  There is not a ply on the sleeve but it is very thin.  I also tried the Friendship bracelet floss and 6 strand variegated cotton embroidery floss. There was a little dry drag on the crochet hook that wasn't acceptable to me and  then the issue of starting a new color with out the bulk produced became frustrating.  Each skein has 235 yards of yarn and depending on the size will give you about 4-5 rugs.
Most of mine I made in 6 inch rounds or ovals.  Hobby Lobby or Joanne Fabrics carry this yarn.  Michael's did not but in your area it might be different

The crochet hook used is a Boye  10/1 .30mm.  I got mine from A Gibson Girl at the Chicago Miniature show.  It has the tiniest hook, but still grabs well.  Check at local yarn shops or Joanne Fabrics.  Its really small!

To make a 6" round rug:  Crochet

Make a loop and knot it onto 10/1 crochet hook.   Chain 3- slip stitch into the beginning loop,
chain 1, single crochet into next stitch:  repeat for the rest of the desired size for the rug.  If it starts to cup up,  stretch out on all sides or lightly press with iron and cloth to flatten out and continue on repeating the chain 1, single crochet into next stitch. When you have decided it is small or large enough pull thread through the last crochet loop without the chain 1, and pull tightly towards you.  Weave into a  few  stitches on the left side and cut off remainder of thread. Press with a pressing cloth and spray iron to block it.   Make as large or small as desired.  This one is a no brainer and no counting needs to be done.  Give your eyes a break on this every couple of minutes or look at the television.  The stitches are tiny but after awhile the hook finds the stitch by itself.

To make an oval rug  Crochet any size you desire.  

Make a loop and knot it onto 10/1 crochet hook.  Chain 21.  Reverse , skip the first single crochet and single crochet in the next 19 stitches, single crochet in the last stitch 2 times then single crochet in next stitch 2 times  starting on the other side-and continue single crochet down to last stitch and put 2 stitches in the last stitch. 
There is now a channel in the middle of the rows next to the 2 crochet on either side.  The procedure for the rest of the rug is as follows on each end.   last stitch 2 crochet, middle stitch on each end 3 single crochet, first stitch on opposite side 2 crochet in first stitch.  Continue on the ends this same way.  You do not need to count any other stitches.  You will know when you are at the end.  Continue on this way will be the increases you need for the increase in size.  If your item starts to cup up stretch out yarn both ways or press with a press cloth and stream iron.  This will flatten out and give you no more problem.  This yarn is acrylic and has a mind of its own.
When you are satisfied with the size end off around a curve on the end, pull thread through a loop without a chain one and pull towards you.  Weave into a couple loops to the left and cut off excess thread.  Block the rug with steam iron and press cloth.

Here are a few others:





Shades of grey, beige, white and charcoal, fawn.  This is my favorite

.


Beige, creme, green and brown variegated
Red orange, salmon, rust, brown, creme.  This one would be a good one for fall.


 As you see no two rugs will ever have the same color variations.  Wouldn't you love to have a pair of socks in these colors.

There is a large list of tutorials on my desk to share with you in the coming weeks.  I plan on redoing a thrift shop doll house and making  all the furniture  in Shabby chic remade.

There will be a lot of making something out of nothing tutorials as well as Dollar store items made into really great things.  I will share web sites I enjoy, recommend new shopping web sites I have been dealing with, and recommend a lot of U-Tube sites that are miniature related and tutorials.

We will be doing some baking with new silicone molds and Fimo clay.  Joanne Swanson made a tutorial on trunk making and covering with cloth covers from old books.  I will make mine out of old books from thrift and garage sales.  I have one that is an encyclopedia  embossed  with imprints from 1920.  I am learning to weave, so I will share what can be wove in miniature. We will make a front porch out of a picture framed box and make items for each season.  I have found quite a few found boxes, shelves and cupboard from clock cases that are going to be made into miniature room boxes. The process will be shared along the way.  Fairy gardens and fairy domains are still popular,  New techniques from regular size classes that  have taken and now converted into miniature will be shared as well.   I also have been exploring U Tube for tutorials, maybe in the future I will get into that.

I have a couple books on the back burner to be completed, one is How to articles in Miniature,   a Children,s book inspired by a Raccoon that lived in a certain part of my house this winter, and one that will probably be a Romance in the end.  All that needs done is to compile the thousands of notes when inspiration hits and put them in order. One of the first things on my bucket list was to find a creative writers group.  Found a good one and it is unbelievable how much creative energy is turned on when you take a step toward your goals.  Miniatures was my first topic that was written about because it was something known to me.   As a result of that they asked me to display some of my room boxes in the display case at the library.  Five  were chosen and were well received by senior citizens particularly and children.  About a month later while taking a craft class at another library, a woman at the table was talking to her friend about these great miniature room boxes at the Foltz Center.
She said her Granddaughter went bonkers over them.  I just had to break in and said they belonged to me. She looked at me with a  --Sure they are Crazy lady look on her face. 

It's been a while since blogging and things have changed some a whole lot.  It has taken pretty much a whole day to type and get pictures loaded, technology has changed, someone has a propane cannon that makes me fly out of my seat.  But overall, I look forward to posting and sharing with you all once again.  Happy July 4th!  

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your recent retirement and on your new collection of braided rugs. The colors are Really nice and I like the sizes of them too!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete