Friday, July 21, 2017

Watch coffee table Tutorial

Pocket watch coffee table
Pocket Watch Shabby Chic coffee table.

The completed watch face coffee table in 1/12" scale next to a rocking chair.

 I have always wanted a clock coffee table for my living room.  The $500.00 price tag is a tad out of my budget.  Making something  in miniature always brightens my spirit and usually takes the desire away to having it in life size. Plus it is affordable.  So, when I found this old pocket watch in the junk drawer that belonged to my Great Uncle an idea was born.  It had no glass, or insides, just tin and a small brass strip around the lid where it can be pried open.  The legs are purchased  wood  Housework's 1-3/16" Cabriolet legs.  I sawed off the tips on the top that fit into a chair and sanded them flat.  Place in an even pattern with super glue on the bottom of the watch.  I decided to paint mine all white and leave the brass strip showing.  Pry off the lid before painting makes it easier.  It took about 2 coats of acrylic paint to cover really well.  Let dry over night and seal with clear varnish or Modge Podge.  If you like the sanded look you can sand off some of the paint to age it a little.  I use an emery board.


The clock face picture I found in an old Discover magazine.  I liked the unusual swirl pattern on the face.  You can find download able clocks on Pinterest, Internet, Steam punk scrap book stickers.  I found some really pretty clock face stickers at Dollar Tree just recently.

Measure how big the underside of the lid is and cut you clock face the same size and glue onto thin cardboard.  I used a small cork glued to the middle of the watch inside to just  reach the lid without touching the cover we are going to put on it.   After gluing the clock face onto the cork I found some steam punk hands for the clock at Michael's and glued them to the face.  Now turn the lid over if you don't have glass in it and measure it and make a circle of paper to fit.  I used clear plastic packing material from something I purchased recently and cut into the circle using the paper as a pattern.  Lightly glue around under the lid and apply the plastic piece.  When dry attach lid, it should just snap into place.  


If you don't have an old watch, Tim Holtz has one for altered art.  I saw it at Joanne Fabrics.

This was a fast and fun project and will be used in the Shabby Chic Doll House I am refinishing called Daisy Hill.

Here are web sites I enjoyed this week:


Bentleyhouseproductions.blogspot.com  In  addition to the blog  she also has a lot of YouTube Videos demonstrating how to make furniture out of heavy cardboard.  This enterprising woman also has an Etsy Store.She designs and uses Silhouette Cameo File  to cut her creations out. She shows her aging technique and how to make an old looking mirror without using a mirror.  Very interesting You Tube Videos.

theminifoodblog.blogspot.com    Wonderful food inspirations.  Mini food good enough to eat.

thinkpastel.deviantart.com.    Another site with beautiful food

toothfairyminiatures.deviantart.com    Another  talented food artist 

haunteddimensions.raykeim.com     Down loadable  Free paper houses, castles, mansions and haunted mansions for fun.  Smaller scale than 1/12"  Very colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment